Legal advice and Strategy Session
Focused, quality legal advice in order to understand your family law and family violence legal rights and responsibilities.
Find a lawyer
Legal Advice and Strategy Sessions
These sessions are with an experienced family lawyer and are for the purpose of giving you good quality legal advice.
The sessions are intended for the following situations:
- when considering separation in order to understand your legal rights and responsibilities for your children and with regards to property
- when preparing for Family Dispute Resolution so that you know what the alternatives to negotiating an agreement are.
- when you are considering accepting an offer from the other party made by a lawyer or a proposed agreement negotiated in Family Dispute Resolution Mediation.
- when you are considering going to court so that you understand what is likely to happen and how much it is likely to cost
- when there are problems that need to be urgently resolved such as fears that the children will be taken out of Australia or moved without your permission, issues with schooling, healthcare, family violence or any other concern related to co-parenting in order for you to understand what your legal rights and obligations are and the strategies available to resolve the issues.
- when you are not confident in the advice or strategy being used by the lawyer you are currently working with and would like a second opinion.
Haven’t worked with a Family Lawyer before?
Read this article on Understanding the Legal Advice Process to find out more.
Why have a Legal Advice and Strategy Session?
The benefits of Legal Advice and Strategy Session
When you are separating or getting divorced it is really important that you get good quality legal advice.
Even if you are determined not to go to court an understanding of your legal rights, obligations and the likely outcome if you did go to court is very important.
In the session you will get an understanding of your WATNA, BATNA and MLATNA. Weird acronyms we know but they provide a framework of understanding of your situation within which you can negotiate.
Read More about Negotiation Boundaries
What happens in a Legal Advice and Strategy Session?
During the Legal Advice and Strategy Session the lawyer will gain an understanding of your current situation and give you advice based on their professional opinion.
Unlike a Separation or Divorce Consultation which is bigger picture their focus is on what the law says about your situation, the likely outcomes if you were to go to court and what it will cost you if you went to court.
They can’t give you exact information about any of that because it really does depend on too many factors.
What they can do is give you information about what has happened in similar cases, how costs are worked out (hourly or fixed fee stages) and answer any specific questions you have.
Legal advice and Strategy SessionFace to face session in an office location.
- up to 90 minute legal advice session
- Bring along a support worker or family member
- Individual advice
Good information = Good Advice
You will not get good quality legal advice if you turn up to a lawyers with empty hands. They need information from you to provide you with accurate advice.
Law is less precise than you think
The outcome you get in Family Law depends on a lot of variables and no lawyer can tell you exactly what will happen if you were to go to court. They can tell you the likely range of outcomes based on their experience of similar cases.
You can also use the Legal Advice and Strategy Session as a “second opinion” if you are uneasy about your current lawyers advice or strategy.
How long is a piece of string?
The other information you need from the lawyer when getting legal advice is how long will it take and how much will it cost if you were to go to court. They won’t be able to tell you an exact amount but they should be able to give you answers to questions such as How long have your recent cases taken to resolve? How much is the most and least that other clients have paid? What do you think my case will cost?
If you are not crystal clear about your Legal position book in for a Legal Advice and Strategy Sessions book in for a Separation or Divorce Consultation
Don’t suffer with overwhelm and make mistakes through ignorance or misinformation. Let us help you work out your next steps.